Thursday, October 27, 2005

Recent happenings

So much for starting vacation last night. I ended up working until 4:00 this morning.

One of my favorite restaurants is closing. Legend's Tap and Grill at Blackstone Plaza is closing its doors on Saturday. Quite honestly, I am not surprised, but I am none the less saddened at its passing. The Republican groups that meet there will have to find a new venue. So will my wife and I. We eat there at least once per week, sometimes more.

The Director of the Johnston County Board of Elections maintained contact with me yesterday about the ad buy I wrote about on WMPM. I do not want to do anything illegal or do something that will bite me later on. I refuse to knowingly get involved with or perform something illegal, shady, or otherwise possibly scandalous. Teresa Davis, the Director, spoke with me about the issue. She said that she would contact the lawyer at the State Board of Elections. She asked me to call back in the afternoon. Later that afternoon, she still did not have an answer from the lawyer yet, but would still be expecting an answer. Within a few hours, Ms. Davis called me back and informed me that the lawyer would research this topic, but in his immediate opinion, it would be illegal to perform the monetary transaction requested by WMPM, and his advice was to NOT do anything of the sort at the moment.

I sought counsel before doing anything stupid or potentially so. I will not get myself into trouble over someone else's mistake. I am glad that I did. As I find out more, I will let you know.

No comments: